German Network for Evidence-based Medicine
"Evidence-based medicine is the conscientious, explicit, and judicious use of current best evidence in making decisions about the care of individual patients. The practice of evidence-based medicine means integrating individual clinical expertise with the best available evidence from systematic research." [David Sackett]
- About us
- What we do
- Board of directors
- Working groups / sections
- The scientific platform of the Network
The German Network for Evidence-based Medicine (DNEbM) was founded to spread and develop the concepts and methods of EbM in practice, teaching and research. The Network is the German-language competence and reference center for all aspects of evidence-based medicine.
Evidence-based medicine (EBM) promotes the conscious, explicit and deliberative use of the best empirical evidence available when making decisions about the care of individual patients, groups of patients and whole populations. The clinical practice of EBM involves the integration of clinical expertise, patient preferences and external evidence from systematic patient-oriented research. Evidence-based health care involves the additional consideration of epidemiological, economic and social aspects.
The DNEbM was founded on 6 October 2000 in Berlin and now records approximately 850 individual and institutional members. The network sees itself as an interdisciplinary platform for the fundamental principles of EBM, namely to improve the connection between medical research and medical care. The DNEbM is both generally and professionally neutral. It is a member of the Association of the Scientific Medical Societies in Germany (AWMF) e.V.
- Development of theory, concepts, methods and techniques of EBM
- Conducting conventions and other events, such as for education and training
- Promotion of training, further education and training in evidence-based medicine, including the development and implementation of teaching programs
- Dissemination of EBM-relevant experiences and research results
through statements, professional publications in numerous journals and books, as well as through the DNEbM’s own publication organ ZEFQ (German Journal for Evidence and Quality in Health Care).
- We organize events dealing with current academic and professional themes:
- DNEbM Annual Convention
- Academies for the intensive exchange of knowledge on current topics
- Workshops and EBM training courses
- We set up a platform for information and exchange by:
- up-dating our homepage every week
- publishing the German Journal for Evidence and Quality in Health Care (ZEFQ)
- issuing statements and press announcements
- developing and providing documents and material relating to the EBM’s principles and tools, e.g. a comprehensive EBM glossary
- developing EBM curricula
- carrying out interviews
- publishing jobs offered in the field of EBM
- Outstanding achievements are honoured by awarding prizes:
- for science: the David Sackett Prize
- for reports acc. to EBM principles: the Journalist Prize
Universität Hamburg, MIN Fakultät Gesundheitswissenschaft
Univ.-Prof. Dr. Gabriele Meyer
Martin Luther University Halle-Wittenberg (MLU)
Medical Faculty of the Martin Luther University
Institute of Health and Nursing Sciences
Magdeburger Str. 8
06112 Halle (Saale)
Institut für Allgemeinmedizin am Universitätsklinikum Hamburg-Eppendorf
Haus West 37 (W37), 5. OG
German Cancer Society
Deutsches Netzwerk Evidenzbasierte Medizin e.V.
The German Network for Evidence-based Medicine is registered as a non-profit association. Its aims and purposes are regarded particularly worthy of promotion. All donations are tax deductible.
Donations account: IBAN: DE59 3006 0601 0005 2566 90, BIC: DAAEDEDDXXX
For a focussed promotion of EBM-related teaching, research and practice, Network activities are organised by working groups (sections), which are independent and open to all Network members for active participation. These working groups include:
- Care, therapy and midwifery professions
- EbM in clinical practice
- Ethics and EbM
- Evidence-based pharmacy
- Operational subjects
- Patient information and participation
- Public Health
- Studying with EbM
The German Journal for Evidence and Quality in Health Care (Zeitschrift für Evidenz, Fortbildung und Qualität im Gesundheitswesen, ZEFQ“) is the official publication of the German EBM Network. It is published at least 8 times a year and free to Network members. ZEFQ is listed by international databases such as Medline and represents the only German-language publication platform focussing on EbM and health care quality assurance.